Wednesday, November 08, 2006

thoughts...

Well, there was a recent article about sewing becoming trendy once again. Which got me thinking....when was it ever untrendy? Really. The article mentioned the societal changes of the '60s and '70s, and I'm sure that had a big impact, but I've always known people who've sewn and quilted. And I've been doing it for many years now myself. I really think sewing is a wonderful and magical thing, and it will never be "untrendy" with me. Anyway, you can read the article here.

This all got me thinking about my own sewing and where it began. And as I thought about it more and more, I realized that I had forgotten the *true* beginning of my sewing. Home Ec in junior high. We had to make a simple alternating block baby quilt. I sewed mine on my mother's old green and white machine. This big and bulky beast only does a straight stitch, forward and reverse. Plain jane. I even remember when she bought it at a yard sale when I was about six or seven. That machine still lives today. I don't think my mother ever uses it, but occasionally my father does! (Go Daddy!!)




Well, my seams didn't match perfect on every block. And somehow I managed to machine quilt this without a walking foot, without too many puckers. The beast did a simple but effective job. And I got an A+.

Sadly, it didn't even get used much when Morgan was a baby, because of the blue. (People always commented that she was a cute boy, even when she was dressed in pink from head to toe. Argh!)

So I thought now would be a good time to document it with some digital pics. Hmm...I really do love this quilt.

No comments: